Every year since I started this blog, I’ve done an end of year survey. This year, I finally realised that it’s my blog, so I can change the questions to ones more suited to me. I’m a bit of a silly sausage for only just realising that 😛 2016 was definitely an eventful year.
1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before?
Saw Snowdogs! More in several years than ever, I went to an event with Sammie (the event wasn’t great, being out with Sammie was amazing).
2. Did you keep your New Year’s Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I ended up not making any. I’ve decided to swap to New Year Goals instead, but I’m still working on them 🙂
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
There were a couple of new babies on my Facebook timeline in the last year 🙂
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No-one I was very close to, but a couple of acquaintances 🙁
5. Where did you visit?
I went into Gateshead and Newcastle, to Saltwell Park twice (once with Sammie) and to South Tyneside Hospital twice for the same appointment 😛
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
Better neighbours. I’m getting more anxiety and panic attacks and flashbacks now, and Johan isn’t always in to help 🙁
7. What will you most remember from 2016 and why?
Getting my shower chair and better hoist slings. Going out with Sammie 😀
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Going to Enchanted Parks with Sammie was amazing. I hope to do something similar again this year (but maybe less boring and wet).
9. What was your biggest failure?
Having to admit that I’d lost the cognitive ability to manage my own finances and benefits without help. Johan became my appointee.
10. Did you suffer any new illness or injury?
Though overall I wasn’t too bad physically, my cognitive functioning declined quite a bit. I overdid it in December so ended the year feeling rather rotten.
11. What was the best thing someone gave you?
Though I love all my presents, the homemade photo frame with photo that Sammie gave me was awesome. Special mention goes to the loom band penguin and unicorn I got for my birthday 🙂
12. Who impressed you this year?
Other than Johan and Sammie, @IamMrJ’s report into ESA in poor areas was very impressive. He’s awesome. (The report: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/aug/09/biased-fit-for-work-tests-poorer-disabled-people)
13. What made you appalled and/or depressed?
Our upstairs neighbours. The care agency (it’s got a terrible CQC report so I know I’m not the only one having issues). The Tory Government (again). Brexit (the campaigns from both sides, the result, the murder of Jo Cox). The US Presidential Election. Bigots. Racists. It’s not been a great year in that way.
14. Other than food, bills and disability stuff, where did most of your money go?
New hobby: loom knitting 😀 Also managed to go out to eat a few times which was awesome.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I went to the Fireworks display! I went out with Sammie! Getting clean! Penguins!
16. What big events will you remember most from 2016?
Probably Brexit. I’ve got a feeling Trump’s presidency will be more 2017.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) healthier or more ill?
Overall I’m a bit better physically. Cognitively I’ve got worse.
c) richer or poorer?
About the same right now. Will have to see what decision I get for my PIP assessment.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Having showers. I managed 2 in 5 months.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Having anxiety and panic attacks. Having meltdowns. Most were triggered by the neighbours, some by care workers.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Opened presents when I woke up. Ate some goodies. Fell asleep. Spoke to Sammie and had the Christmas dinner our neighbour made when I woke up again. Stayed awake until the next morning then crashed hard. Our Christmas tree had lights and a penguin on the top this year. Maybe next year we’ll manage tree, lights and decorations?
21. What did you love in 2016?
Johan and Sammie (obviously). Penguins (also obvious). My Twitter friends. Awesome family. Those who initiated conversation with me when I became unable to initiate it myself.
22. How many trips out?
Several! Maybe not as many as I’d have liked, but I’m now definitely only mostly bedbound, not completely bedbound 😀
23. What was your favourite TV programme?
The Great British Bake Off 🙂 I think it’s the only TV show I managed to watch every episode of (excluding Christmas specials as I’ve not been well enough to see them yet).
24. Do you dislike anyone or anything now that you didn’t dislike this time last year?
I really dislike how the country has become less accepting of difference. The rise of the far right is really scary to me.
26. What was your greatest media discovery?
Probably the film Oddball, which I saw on (UK) Netflix. It’s about fairy penguins, which are my favourite real life penguins! And their doggy protector!
27. What did you want and get?
Other than talking and seeing Sammie, I managed going out (and not just for appointments), and I finally got my shower chair! I had two showers! I also got hoist slings with head support which makes hoisting much less painful. I also had two baths while in the care home while Johan was in Sweden at the end of July/beginning of August.
28. What did you want and not get?
I wanted to have more showers (silly body not letting me have more than two). I also wanted my health to improve overall, but though I’m doing better physically, I’m worse cognitively.
29. What was your favourite film of this year?
Oddball! Star Trek: Into Darkness was also good 🙂
30. What did you do on your birthday?
Sammie came over and visited! Best birthday present 😀
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Being able to do more. I’m happy I managed to do some stuff though 🙂
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016?
Purple. Sometimes I wore stuff that wasn’t pyjamas, like a purple shirt and tie 😀
33. What kept you sane?
Other than the obvious (penguins, Johan, Sammie, friends), good memories helped a lot, such as memories of seeing Sammie.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I should probably change this question but I don’t know what to 😛 I didn’t fancy anyone new, but finding out more about Carrie Fisher and George Michael meant I admired them more than I already did.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Probably Brexit. The whole thing was a mess and it’s not looking to get any better.
36. Who do you miss?
Sammie when I can’t talk to her. Johan when he’s out. My friends when I’m not able to communicate with them.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
I think meeting IamMrJ in person was in 2016? I’m not sure. He’s even more awesome in real life than on Twitter though, and I already thought he was amazingly awesome 🙂
38. What was the best thing you ate?
Johan’s potatoes are again unbeaten. I also really enjoyed the fudge we got from Fancy a Fudge?
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016?
Too many people are willing to lie to get others to do what they want. Sometimes even evidence won’t work against it.
40. A quote that sums up your year:
“If my life wasn’t funny it would just be true, and that is unacceptable.”
― Carrie Fisher,