Happy New Year!
Belated Merry Christmas and Happy Newtonmas 🙂 I had a good Christmas, followed by a short crash but luckily we got things sorted quickly enough it only lasted a few days and I’m back to nearly Danni-normal again 🙂
This month has been up and down a bit, saw the community dentist the second time I tried (first time couldn’t get on the bus because the driver wouldn’t let me on because of prams) and have been referred for my teeth to be sorted out under a general anaesthetic as no other option for me. I went to Enchanted Parks as well and that was awesome. So many pretty lights and displays! Mostly been in bed otherwise but did get up when Sammie came to pick up her presents and talk 🙂 I knew then that no matter what happened it was going to be an awesome Christmas.
On Christmas Day itself I watched a church service on the telly, opened many presents (thank you everyone who sent me cards and presents), had roast hog for dinner, along with Johan’s homemade roast potatoes which were the nicest potatoes I’ve ever had even though it was his first time, and watched the Doctor Who Christmas special which was awesome. A great day. I also spoke to Sammie on both Christmas Day and her 12th birthday which was the best. Totally worth the payback afterwards 😀
Anyway, every year I fill out a silly survey about the year that just happened. I’ve just watched the new year come in and I’m gonna do it now while I remember 🙂
1. What did you do in 2015 that you’d never done before?
Get a hoist! Meant I could get into my wheelchair and go into Gateshead and Newcastle for the first time in a few years. Also started making things with loom bands.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I managed 2 of 4, and most of my goals (including the 50 books read this year). I’ll make more in the next few days. I’m happy with how I did overall, as a couple were ambitious (and relied on other things happening that didn’t).
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! More babies this year so a Facebook feed full of cuteness!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes 🙁 My good friend Ron died a few months ago, and my grandma died earlier this month. I was too ill to go to their funerals 🙁
5. What countries did you visit?
I stayed in the UK, but did go into Gateshead and Newcastle for non-medical reasons! That was awesome!
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
I need that shower chair still 😛
7. What dates from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
My memory is terrible for dates, so I’ll remember events (Sammie visiting, Ron and my Grandma dying, going out) but not exactly when they happened.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Going into Newcastle, being in my chair for several hours with the only payback being needing to sleep more. More of that please 🙂
9. What was your biggest failure?
My health and my memory.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Mostly just ME stuff. Got a rough diagnosis of POTS (too ill for a tilt table test) but I’ve had the symptoms of that since I was 12. Nothing new so that’s good I guess 🙂
11. What was the best thing someone bought you?
Like I said last year, I appreciate everything that people bought for me. So many penguins and ponies 😀 One of my Christmas presents from Sammie is a heart shaped cushion with her on it. I think she’s abseiling but I might be wrong there 😛
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Same answers as last year: Johan and Sammie 😛 I think Esther has also done really well this year as well.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and/or depressed?
Still the government. Things are getting harder and harder for my friends because of them, and I don’t know how to help 🙁
14. Where did most of your money go?
Same as last year: food, bills, disability stuff. I did buy a new cooker which was much needed.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
This answer will be obvious to anyone who knows me: Sammie and penguins 😀 I can add going out to that list this year 😀
16. What songs will always remind of 2015?
Although I’ve listened to some music this year, I’ve not really listened to anything recent so I don’t think I’ve got a song that would remind me of this year 😛
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
Mostly happier 🙂 Had a few sad periods but I think overall being able to go out has boosted my mood loads, as has being in pretty regular contact with Sammie.
b) fatter or skinnier?
Fatter 😛 As I was underweight, this is a good thing. I’m still not where I need to be but eating has been a bit easier this year. Still malnourished but continuing to work on that.
c) richer or poorer?
About the same.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Going out 😛 Glad I managed it though.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Relapsing, though I did so less than 2014. Being anxious.
20. How do you plan to spend Christmas?
Christmas was spent talking to Sammie, watching telly and eating the amazing roast dinner Johan made me 🙂 Next year, I hope to have the entire tree decorated (this year only managed lights and star, last year it was missing the lights).
21. Did you fall in love in 2015?
The babies! So cute! Especially Amy who came to see me 🙂
22. How many one night stands?
None. Didn’t even try standing this year 😛
23. What was your favourite TV programme?
Doctor Who, Great British Bake Off and Steven Universe 🙂
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope. Still don’t actually hate anyone. I dislike the government, but that’s different.
25. What was the best book you read?
What If? by Randall Munroe. Thank you Sammie for prodding me to actually read it 🙂
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Google Play Music. They are pretty good at guessing what I want to listen to (though they do get it really wrong sometimes).
27. What did you want and get?
A hoist! Freedom at last! Also spoke to Sammie loads and got to see her. Some support for Johan.
28. What did you want and not get?
A shower chair. Apart from two baths in the care home, I’ve not been clean all year.
29. What was your favourite film of this year?
I’m torn between Big Hero 6 and Inside Out.
30. What did you do on your birthday?
Sleep mostly 🙂 I think I spoke to Sammie as well. Opened lots of amazing presents (including a penguin balloon to walk!).
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Being able to get properly clean at home.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
Tops, leggings and pyjamas. Penguins were also involved 🙂
33. What kept you sane?
This never really changes 🙂 Sammie, Johan, penguins, and friends.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I can’t think of any.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
The welfare cuts again. Sanctions in particular are getting really bad.
36. Who do you miss?
I really miss talking to Ron. It’s not been the same being on Twitter since. He would have been so proud of Johan’s potatoes. I also miss seeing my friends and family, but talking online helps.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
Probably Marga and Amy. Amy is adorabubble!
38. What was the best thing you ate?
Johan’s roast potatoes. No contest.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015?
It will take several explanations before people will accept sitting upright is a bad idea. Especially nurses and care assistants.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Here’s a penguin, there’s a penguin and another little penguin. Fuzzy penguin, funny penguin, penguin, penguin duck. (Not actually a song, but I’ve sung it. The duck mentioned belongs to Amy.)